Beginning Sounds FREEBIE!

I hope everyone had a wonderful and relaxing winter break! After a couple weeks of getting back to the normal school routine, we have been working really hard in small groups. I don't know about you, but I swear it takes just as long for me to get back to the school routine after winter break as it is does for the students!

The first couple weeks back from break have consisted of a lot of small group work, observing independent work, and looking over assessments. From all of this, I am really happy with where my small groups are headed!

The second half of the school year is here and it is also the time of year that those beginning readers really begin to shine through! It is such an exciting time of year!

I really like to make sure that my students have a great understanding of their letter sounds. I wanted to make a hands-on activity that would be fun, engaging, and beneficial for my students. I put together an interactive beginning sounds snowman activity that I wanted to share with you all and have available for you for FREE!!

I love themed activities and with this crazy weather we have been having I thought snowmen were a perfect fit!

This Snowman Beginning Sounds Activity is great for many different levels. It can be used during small groups, centers, one-on-one, and more! Here is a closer look:
  • Students look at the picture on the snowman and say it out loud. They will listen for and determine the beginning sound letter of the picture. 
  • Next, students will look for the popsicle stick that has the correct beginning sound letter.
  • They will place the popsicle stick through the slits on the snowman to make it look like the arms of the snowman!
Here are some more pictures of the activity in action:



Included in this activity are snowmen with pictures from A-Z.

**You can even add an extra challenge by placing the beginning and ending sound letters on the popsicle stick for students to match to the picture.

I have enjoyed using this activity as a warm up for some of my higher groups, an extension activity for other groups, and even as the main activity for some of my groups. My favorite part is that all of the students benefit from this activity and have a ton of fun while doing so!

Did I mention that this activity is FREE!?! You can grab it from my TPT Store HERE or click on the picture below:

I hope you can find this as a helpful resource in your classroom. 
I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday and weekend! :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Long Plan!

Scarecrows- Part Two!

Little Red Riding Hood