Presidents & Election Fun!

We have been having a lot of fun and learning so much about George Washington & Abraham Lincoln this week. We did lots of different activities to share our new knowledge about these Presidents!

My favorite part of the week was when one of my kiddos came up to me and said,

"Mrs. Miller… I had no idea who these guys are and I know so much about them now. They were really good guys. I wish I could have met them. I am going to teach my mom and dad all about them because I don't think they know who they are." 
And immediately after, my heart melted! I had a grin ear to ear for the rest of the day! So precious and I live for these kind of moments!

We worked on my Presidents Day Mini-Unit all week.


Monday

We read a nonfiction book about George Washington. We began our 'All About Abe & George Books'. We began with a craft of George and writing about how he was our first President.
   




We also wrote about what coin and bill he can be found on.


I had my students help me write facts that we learned about him.

Tuesday 
Today, we worked on our 'All About Abe & George Books' and wrote some facts that we learned about George Washington.
   


   

We also read a nonfiction book about Abraham Lincoln. We did a craft of Abe in our 'All About Abe & George Books' and wrote about how he was our 16th President.
   


    We wrote about what coin and bill Abe can be found on.

Wednesday

We reread the nonfiction book about Abraham Lincoln and I had my students help me write facts that we learned about him.

Then, we worked on our 'All About Abe & George Books' and wrote some facts that we learned about Abraham Lincoln.
   


   

We read, 'Duck for President' and wrote about why we think Duck would be a good President.
   

Thursday
 We read the nonfiction book, 'Abe Lincoln's Hat' and wrote in our books about what Abe kept in his hat and what we would keep in our hats.
   


   





We read, 'Grace for President' and wrote about why we think Grace would make a good President.
   


   

Friday
Today, we compared George Washington & Abraham Lincoln to each other. They had a lot in common!

We wrote about their similarities in our 'All About Abe & George Books'. We officially finished our books today! I was so proud of their wonderful work!


We had an election in our class today! I really wanted my kiddos to get a good understanding of what an election is and what voting means since we have been talking about it all week! Therefore, we had an election of our own! We voted Grace or Duck for President.
   


   



We counted our votes and graphed the results! 


We also recorded our data.
   

Then, we wrote about who we voted for in the election and why we voted for them.
   

To end the day and our week all about Presidents, we did a fun craftivity on why you should vote for them to be President. They turned out so cute! I absolutely loved their reasons. So many Presidents I would vote for!!



  
I will give cupcake and cookies and drinks and pets.


  

I will work hard in my office.

I think we would all vote this boy for President! He wrote:  "I will give everybody money and I will give everybody food and I will tell the weather."
Too Cute!!


Such a fun week! I am looking forward to a fun week celebrating Dr. Seuss next week! There will be TONS of FREEBIES!!!! 

If you are interested in these activities, you can grab my Presidents Day Mini Unit HERE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year Long Plan!

Scarecrows- Part Two!

Little Red Riding Hood